01:47 PM 15 Sep, 2021
Which Škoda Octavia to choose?
More than 100 years ago, the bookseller Vaclav Klement and the mechanic Vaclav Laurin decided to produce bicycles that were affordable and reliable.Their enterprise quickly gained popularity, and the scale of production, as well as the staff, grew exponentially. The next step was the construction of a plant in Mlada Boleslav, where they first launched the production of motorcycles, and then headed for cars. This marked a turning point in the history of Laurin & Klement and Škoda automobiles.
Today Škoda Auto is the largest car manufacturer in the Czech Republic and one of the most popular car brands in the world. The headquarters is located in the same Mlada Boleslav.
Octavia - the permanent flagship of Škoda
In 2021, Škoda's lineup includes 5 modern cars: Rapid, Karoq, Kodiaq, Superb and, of course, its most popular model in the history of the Czech brand - Škoda Octavia. This is the absolute bestseller of the brand, which is successfully sold in more than 100 countries around the world. Generations of the car succeed each other, but the most important thing remains the same - you can rely on the Škoda Octavia: it is reliable, meets the spirit of the times and the needs of its owners.
The Octavia is so popular that in the aftermarket some trims cost more than the higher-end Golf or Superb. In many ways, it was Octavia that contributed to the fact that the Škoda brand has become so recognizable.
What is the secret of Octavia and the reason for its popularity all over the world?
1. The Škoda brand is owned by the Volkswagen Group. Accordingly, the same «Germans» are produced under the Czech brand - solid, reliable, comfortable, but more affordable.
2. The Škoda Octavia has a spacious interior and a spacious trunk. In terms of luggage space, this car has no competitor in the segment. So, the trunk volume of the new Octavia A8 is 578 liters, which is 12 liters more than the previous generation A7.
3. In Octavia you feel like in a car a class above. Simply Clever solutions, high-quality interior trim, numerous driver assistance systems and a recognizable look are responsible for this feeling. The new-generation Octavia is packed with features like three-zone Climatronic climate control, Area View, blind-spot monitoring and adaptive cruise control. It is in it for the first time in the history of Škoda that shift-by-wire technology is used - an electronic transmission control system. Already in the «base», the new generation has a full power package, LED headlights, excellent multimedia and a powerful set of security solutions. In a word, Octavia A8 is already as close as possible to the premium segment.
4. A wide choice of body colors and interior trim, as well as trim levels and engines.
For the new Octavia, 4 power units are provided:
- 1.6 MPI engine with a 6-speed «automatic» and a power of 110 hp;
- 150-horsepower 1.4 TSI with 6-speed manual transmission;
- 150-horsepower 1.4 TSI with 8-speed automatic transmission;
- 2.0 TSI with a capacity of 190 «horses» with a 7-speed DSG robotic gearbox with two clutches.
A wide range of trim levels and engines Škoda Octavia
Octavia of different generations: how did the Škoda flagship change?
First generation Škoda Octavia (1996 - 2004)
The first Octavia was released in 1996 and was produced until 2004. In 2000, she underwent restyling, received an updated design, optics and new powertrains. However, the 1.6-liter «engine» did not have a particularly impressive power - only 75 «horses». But we must pay tribute: its reliability and durability were on top.
The 1.4-liter engine developed only 60 «horses». 1.8 liter engine with 125 hp. With. felt much more confident on the track, but his appetite was exorbitant, and this also applied to gasoline and engine oil.
According to experts, the most dynamic and optimal motors in the first generation:
- 1.6-liter engine is the most trouble-free «engine»;
- turbocharged engine with a volume of 1.8 liters and a capacity of 150 «horses». And it also came with a «sport» version with a capacity of 180 hp.
The first generation of «Octavia» immediately fell in love with the people due to its undoubted advantages - it looked pretty neat, it was distinguished by a spacious interior, a large trunk and an excellent quality paintwork. Plus, the first generation was available in 15 trim levels.
However, keep in mind that if you choose the Octavia I generation, you can count on its reliability. But age still takes its toll, so electronics and a timing belt can «fly».
Second generation Škoda Octavia (2004 - 2013)
The second generation interested not only Volkswagen fans who want to get a «German» cheaper, but also connoisseurs of more premium brands. The second generation Octavia appeared in 2004, underwent a restyling in 2008 and ceased production in 2013. Compared to its predecessor, the second generation received a new platform and engines. The lineup was replenished with an all-wheel drive version of the station wagon, which was called the Scout. The most successful «engine» in the Octavia A5 was the 1.8-liter - resistant, durable, trouble-free. The 1.6-liter unit is not much inferior to him either: he calmly drives up to 350 thousand kilometers without problems and complaints.
The advantage of 1.4 TSI is low fuel consumption with excellent dynamics. However, the design is complicated, and in the case of repairs, you will have to pay a lot, and wait a long time. Among all generations of Octavia, the second is the undisputed leader in the secondary market. She has a decent level of security, quality finishes and assembly.
Third generation Škoda Octavia (2013 - 2020)
The production of the third generation began in 2013, it was restyled in 2017, and production was completed in 2020.
And again, the third generation is as different from the second as possible: Škoda engineers decided to «modernize» the look of their flagship and successfully coped with the task.
Already in the initial configurations, everything was provided for, and the top ones offered more than some competitors from the «premium».
There are 4 engines to choose from:
- 1.6-liter «aspirated» for 110 «horses»;
- diesel engine with a volume of 2.0 and a power of 143 liters. With. (after restyling, it increased to 150 hp);
- 1.4-liter and 150-horsepower turbo engine;
- turbocharged engine with 180 «horses».
As a transmission, 5- and 6-speed manual transmissions, a 6-speed «automatic», as well as a 6- and 7-speed robotic DSG were offered. If mechanical and automatic boxes are problem-free, then there are still questions to the DSG, so experts recommend choosing boxes of the first two types.
Fourth generation - the all-new Škoda Octavia (from 2021)
New LED headlights, comfort, safety and multimedia features, excellent dynamics - all this is the new Octavia. Add to this a decent selection of colors and trim levels, to understand why Octavia is so loved by many.
Leave a comment